Connect
To Top

Rising Stars: Meet Hope Griffin

Today we’d like to introduce you to Hope Griffin. 

Hi Hope, we’re thrilled to have a chance to learn your story today. So, before we get into specifics, maybe you can briefly walk us through how you got to where you are today?
For as long as I can remember, I’ve been writing. It’s how I processed the world as a kid. As a parent, it was how I worked through the overwhelm of our daughter’s cancer diagnosis and how as a military spouse I processed the challenges of military life. 

In 2015 my first book, Finding Joy, was published. It highlighted the challenges and joys of both deployments and being a caregiver. Following the book publication, I began working as a freelance content writer. 

Today our daughter is cancer-free and healthy. We’ve also transitioned from military to civilian/veteran life. Suddenly I found myself in a place where I could begin to pursue my own career goals. I enrolled in a Marketing Certification from Cornell, began work on my SEO Certification, and enrolled in Copy School in order to expand on what I was offering clients as a freelancer. 

With more and more writing clients coming in and watching my creative friends and fellow military spouses struggling to find paying work, I decided it was time to make the next move. 

May of 2020, I founded Creative Bay, a copy and content company whose purpose is to empower purpose-driven companies and the creatives who write for them. We’re growing slowly and purposefully, bringing on clients that value people-over-profits and talented writers who are passionate about the mission each of our clients serves. 

I’m sure you wouldn’t say it’s been obstacle-free, but so far would you say the journey has been a fairly smooth road?
Prior to and throughout my writing career, I worked and volunteered in the non-profit world. 

One of my struggles in beginning a career in the for-profit world was finding a viable solution that aligned with my own values (people-over-profit and social impact) while also creating paying jobs for both myself and others. 

My experience as a Director of Family Ministries for a church in El Paso, TX has provided a smooth transition in working with for-profit companies who are building brands around social impact and in managing a team of creative talent. 

As you know, we’re big fans of you and your work. For our readers who might not be as familiar what can you tell them about what you do?
Creative Bay was founded with one main purpose – to elevate the community. 

This is done on three fronts. 

1. We’re empowering companies and brands who are involved in social impact to share their story in a way that resonates with like-minded consumers.

2. We’re creating jobs for creatives and military spouses who have the talent but don’t always know how to transition that talent to a living wage or, particularly for the military spouse, how to create careers that move with them.

3. We’re giving back to Tampa through The Bautista Project (tBP), a non-profit located in Tampa that is working to end homelessness by providing individualized plans that lead to sustainable housing.

The Bautista Project and its mission is the BIG why behind creating a for-profit company. The work tBP is doing is powerful. Individuals are finding work and a way back into housing and community. With proper funding, tBP could impact more lives and move forward in its plans to create transitional housing. 

Creative Bay is different in that, from day one, we’ve been working alongside the Bautista Project 

-> managing their content 

-> working to create a stronger marketing strategy 

-> going out on the streets meeting with the individuals who live there 

-> networking to help find employment for those who are ready 

-> participating in various projects that are designed to prevent homelessness 

-> helping plan events and the marketing around them 

When a company seeks out the services of Creative Bay, they aren’t only elevating their own social impact through the talents of creatives, they are also contributing to 

-> decreasing the rate of unemployment amongst military spouses 

-> ending homelessness here in Tampa Bay 

Can you talk to us a bit about the role of luck?
I’m not sure I believe in luck, good or bad, 

Life happens. We’re all handed different experiences, challenges, and opportunities, some more than others. 

Those who have found a way to use those experiences and shape them into success are the ones who are in a position to help others do the same. 

I had the privilege of being born into a loving supportive family who encouraged and supported me in pursuing higher education. My parents, a pastor and a special needs teacher, modeled for me what it looked like to live our lives in service for others. 

But I’ve also experienced a number of challenges that shaped my life and my business today. 

My family had the challenges that come with an infant’s rare cancer diagnosis but also a diagnosis that opened up access to some of the world’s best medical care at St. Jude Children’s Hospital, at no cost to us. This was available because at one point a long time ago a man named Danny Thomas envisioned a hospital where children with deadly diseases would find healing. When the hospital first opened children who came there had a 20% chance of survival. Today, thanks to Danny Thomas, the children now have an 80% chance of survival. My daughter is one of the survivors… That’s not luck. That’s the fulfillment of a man’s dream, a man who believed he could change the world for the better and then did. 

Military life also brought challenges (spouse unemployment, deployment, grief, service-related injuries, etc.), but those challenges also mean we belong to a community of service-minded individuals. I’ve watched as friends whose spouses have lost their lives on the battlefield and to suicide have stepped up to become advocates for better mental health care in our community. These men and women continue to serve long past their commitment to the military. They envision a better world, just like Danny Thomas did, and they’re playing their part to see it to fruition. 

Contact Info:


Image Credits

Tara O’Meara
Ulisses Bautista

Suggest a Story: VoyageTampa is built on recommendations from the community; it’s how we uncover hidden gems, so if you or someone you know deserves recognition please let us know here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

More in Local Stories