Today we’d like to introduce you to Jeswon Lati.
Hi Jeswon, it’s an honor to have you on the platform. Thanks for taking the time to share your story with us – to start maybe you can share some of your backstories with our readers?
I’m a singer, a rapper, and a songwriter. I have been singing before I understood I was singing. Shortly after I began to write poems, songs, and plays. This persisted ‘til even this day. Currently, I write books rather than plays but open to both. I started recording initially at 16 with a friend in a group called Souljarettes, that lastly briefly. Later as an adult, I rekindled my love for recording and released my first mixtape single “Rodeo – Juvenile Remix”. Had some bumps along the road that caused me to take breaks to tend to family etc. But the passion burned inside me, so eager to get back into the studio and express myself. I have since released another mixtape single “Whole Lotta Choppas – Sada Baby Remix” and my first official single “Once” available on all streaming platforms. Aside from my creative side, I am a business owner, I own Teaching Respect Unity & Equality Care LLC, this is a med waiver out-of-home care agency. Still growing and still expanding. I will be releasing my next single soon, stay tuned.
Can you talk to us a bit about the challenges and lessons you’ve learned along the way? Looking back would you say it’s been easy or smooth in retrospect?
It has not always been a smooth road as you meet many obstacles from controlling engineers, that want to keep your music and set demands and rules for you. Being a young lady entering this industry independently with no team, sometimes male characters twist the narrative or try to create one that they deem acceptable. This caused trust issues for me as this was my first experience and it was not the best. Along with that, my partner at the time niece and nephew were put into foster care, which obviously was a huge focus for us to get them out and placed with us. I had to take a break and learn to be a mother figure and/or aunt. I have had to start over due to domestic violence, and am a proud survivor of abuse. I took a break to heal physically and mentally. Also, sometimes the funding can cause a delay. Music is all about investing in your craft with no guarantee of a return. So, you pay for studio time, you pay for rights to your beats unless of course you are an engineer. You pay for visuals, your photoshoots, your videos. Hair, makeup, costumes, etc. the bill can stack up pretty quickly. But in the end, when it’s all said and done, it’s always worth it, if it’s what you love to do and it’s for you.
Thanks for sharing that. So, maybe next you can tell us a bit more about your work?
I am a singer and a rapper. My goal is excel in both. I do not associate myself with any genre as I will only limit myself and I feel like the sky is truly the limit. If I like a sound, I want to master it and produce that sound in my own authentic way. I’m proud of my writing skills, I have so much unreleased music and I surprise myself every time I touch another beat. A great goal of mine would be to write for others.
I want to hear other artist singing my lyrics, I think that would be placed in one of my proudest moments.
I have my own unique sound. A lot of artist all sound the same, but I can promise you, I don’t. Of course, I can make commercial sounds and music but it has to be from my prospective which sets me apart from others.
We’d love to hear about any fond memories you have from when you were growing up?
I have a lot. I had a very good childhood. My mother was a single mom but she did it so well, I never noticed my father was absent.
- Email: Blessjessmusic@gmail.com
- Instagram: Instagram.com/JeswonLatimusic
- Twitter: Twitter.com/Jeswonlatimusic
- Youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC98VPOsAev4uckotiteQszw
- SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Qk3YgEH8JKGHzJwv9
- Other: https://open.spotify.com/artist/5o4fm9Frpy7BCs57zlIwdL?si=MZHZ3JGMSYGuXF2k-F8xRQ&nd=1&utm_medium=organic&_branch_referrer=H4sIAAAAAAAAA72N3U6DMACFn6bcCdgycSbEOFiZi%2FMHnBvcLBWoNHRtbUsmPr2dia9gci5OzpeTr7dWmZsgMEpaRiefKOVzJobgVmnZjo1NpOqEB2BER84Po%2BZJf74AdAcgdjlj%2F%2B%2FdyKObiLbMWFdmMqLHOdZqihepmcXf%2FP7UPgCEDQMo29SrGq3zTVnl4x7D4QJffxUvvyrC%2BTtphn%2FQAXglWkcvPdoRO%2BoukfqDCNZ4B5bAqUPx805l%2B2hbxbrA6fJNVOHrVC7zzydBcthV%2BrQKnXvX12kRq37RZvPHNXILDcte8u0P6vpqZGEBAAA%3D&product=open&%24full_url=https%3A%2F%2Fopen.spotify.com%2Fartist%2F5o4fm9Frpy7BCs57zlIwdL%3Fsi%3DMZHZ3JGMSYGuXF2k-F8xRQ&feature=organic&_i=2ye37PWpDX4UY7rRFCEVnY0TySEGqOnaG2eYrwH0%2FWhZCR7phBdD9NJ3%2Ff0SholU&_branch_match_id=989159398096294543